Friday, September 7, 2012

Getting hands-on

Sometimes the best way to learn is to roll up our sleeves and do.  At a recent student presentation at a school we needed to do just that.

A student asked a question about a cutting technique.  I could show her, I could tell her, or I could watch her.

Watching is easier for me and better for her.  She jumped at the chance to take an idea into action and test the technique for herself.

One of the additional benefits of doing this in a class presentation is that it reinforces the idea that ALL members of the class can do it.  They know I can do it, they saw me do it.  When a peer gets up there they can relate to her skill level and easily imagine that they can do it, too.

Engaging a student in this way has worked well for me.  What do you do in classroom demo presentations to occasionally get a student more involved?

No comments:

Post a Comment