Sunday, February 3, 2013

Snake bit!


Snake bit!

The Arizona desert is well known to be home to a rattlesnake or two.  My recent trip to Phoenix had me come face to face with a mean Viper.

Quite unexpectedly, my NEW Marianna Viper barber shears, 6.5” got a piece of me.  I was working with a student to capture a youtube video (LINK HERE to the video) when in between takes I was cleaning up some stray hairs along the bottom of a bob.  My fault.  I was working fast (not the first time) and my ring finger on my left hand got too close to the front end of the snake.  That shear jumped out and bit me!

Good thing I have quick reflexes as I did not close the tool fully.  6’5” carries with it a lot of leverage.  It could have been a lot worse.  I spent a few hours in the emergency room at Phoenix memorial.  Thank you to the doctor and nurses there.  The offending Viper is pictured here, so is my hospital wrist band and my bandages finger.

That shear is super sharp.  Actually that was a good thing.  I cut myself just before the beginning of a two hour class.  I instantly applied pressure and a half dozed bandaids.  I did my class and then went off in search of the closest hospital.  The combination of pressure, time and the surgical precision of the two cuts 9 from each of the blades made it so that when they cut off the bandaids at the hospital it was already sealing well and did not need to be stitched.  Some surgical glue and more pressure and bandaging was all that was needed.


Bottom line… GREAT shears.  Great medical attention… and they students STILL got a GREAT class.

No comments:

Post a Comment